Waunakee Community School District
A visionary learning environment embraces its community and agriculture heritage
After extensive research and community input, WCSD and EUA developed a long-range Facilities Master Plan that aligned with the priorities of a growing community, addressed flexibility needs through financially responsible solutions. EUA provided critical analysis of district-wide facilities and programming, as well as planning and design for a new intermediate school and renovations to existing schools.
WCSD construction projects included a new 700-student capacity intermediate school, with adaptability for future expansion, and additions/renovations to two elementary schools to increase capacity, create secure entries, and add flexibility to core learning, special education and recreational spaces.
The new intermediate school design is inspired by the patchwork of farm fields it is built on. The exterior glass resembles the unique patterns of local farm fields and the interior represents the natural elements that aid the surrounding crops including sun, wind, water and earth. The learning environments feature enhanced flexibility for future repurposing as education continues to evolve.
Watch the video to see the impact collaborative learning design is having on students and staff in Waunakee.
- Community Engagement | Master Plan | Renovation | Addition | New Construction
- Waunakee, WI
- 156,000 sq ft
- In Business Magazine Best New Development or Renovation Commercial Design Award
- In Business Magazine Best Green-Built Project Commercial Design Award
- In Business Magazine Commercial Design Project of the Year Award
- Daily Reporter Top Project Award
- Learning By Design Magazine Grand Prize Award
- ASID Wisconsin Gold Award