Preserve the historic nature of the building while increasing the size and usability for the community
With continued community support and program growth, Goodman Community Center (GCC) needed additional space for expanding middle school and high school teen programs. Following a space needs assessment, the historic Madison Brass Works building, which is across the street from the community center, was offered for sale. Through the generosity of a lead donor, GCC was able to purchase the building for historic renovation.
The Brass Works building had been originally built in 1918 with numerous additions through 1959. EUA and GCC worked together to identify areas suitable for both new construction and adaptive use. This resulted in adapting the oldest manufacturing areas into large multipurpose rooms while constructing a compatible addition for classroom and office space.
The Madison Brass Works building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2017.
- Madison, WI
- 29,980 total sq ft
- 21,280 sq ft addition
- 8,700 sq ft existing
- In Business Best New Development or Renovation - Mixed Use
- Madison Trust for Historic Preservation Award