Architectural Specifications Writer
An Architectural Specifications Writer develops, writes, edits and prepares technical project specifications / project manuals for architectural projects primarily emanating out of the Denver Studio, while also coordinating and linking the information back to the overall firm.
An Architectural Specifications Writer develops, writes, edits and prepares technical project specifications / project manuals for architectural projects primarily emanating out of the Denver Studio, while also coordinating and linking the information back to the overall firm. The writer coordinates the specifications with drawings and design documents to establish material and installation requirements. The individual also helps create and maintain office standard specifications and project templates. The specifications writer works with the firm's Specifications Team to develop firmwide technical requirements and standards and assists with training of staff. This individual must exhibit a thorough understanding of building materials, assemblies, systems, details, codes, construction techniques, and communication strategies.
- Work with Project Managers and Project Architects to prepare specifications for construction documents
- Interact, coordinate and expedite specification preparation among consultant disciplines
- Conduct technical investigation of products, materials and construction methods
- Efficiently use BSD Spec-Link-E specification editing software.
- Ensure compliance with related codes and regulations, including NFPA 285 assemblies and products
- Prepare contract conditions, general and bidding requirements
- Generate Preliminary Project Descriptions during early design phases
- Review submittals for conformance with contract documents
- Review substitutions for equivalency of product attributes including life cycle, sustainability and risk assessment
- Maintain, edit, and establish new standard specifications sections and firmwide templates
- Communicates effectively with the project team, client, and consultants during the project duration
- Assists project teams with technical details and provides necessary technical information
- Researches and has access to the latest information from manufacturers and vendors
- Has a broad knowledge of projects related to workplace environments, learning environments (K12), multi-family residential, aerospace and high tech offices, and healthcare environments
- Continuously works to improve and implement techniques to develop specifications
- Must be willing to listen to other and communicate efficiently with team members
- Assists with training and mentoring less experienced staff
- Specify and research systems and products that align with high performance buildings
- Work seamlessly with Specifications Team leadership
The Fine Print
- Bachelor's degree in Architecture
- Licensed Architect is preferred
- CDT, CSI CCS Certified is preferred
- 8+ years of specifications experience and/or combination of Project Architect and specifications writing experience
- Experience with BSD Spec-Link-E a plus (required to learn software)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs
Denver Office. Located in the heart of “LoDo” just steps from Union Station and Coors field, our Denver office is practically an urban tourist destination in itself. We may be biased, but we think it’s one of the best spots in the City with some of the best people.